WFR Boyce and MJ Sullivan were joint owners of the Brisbane Bridge Club of 455 Adelaide Street, Brisbane which opened in 1932. In 1936, the Queensland Bridge Association transferred its headquarters to that address.

He was the bridge columnist for the “Courier” and the “Telegraph” under the name of ‘Quart Major’ and was a regular player at the club for many years. He was President of the Association in 1955 and played bridge well into his eighties dying at the age of 94.